Alondra was designed and built In 1927 by the J.M. Densmore
Company of Quincy, Massachusetts. It is believed that
her original plans were produced by the renowned naval
architects of "commuter yacht" fame, Tams &
King of New York City. While under construction at the
yard, she was the third yacht called Maya in a series
of five Mayas. Her original owner, Mr. George C. Smith,
Jr. of New York City, was a member of the New York Yacht
Club as well as the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club.
Alondra was constructed of yellow pine planking on steam
bent white oak frames and is 68 feet overall in length.
She was originally powered with a pair of six cylinder
Sterling gasoline marine engines and sold new for $60,000.00.
In the early spring of 1932, Mr. Smith sold Alondra to
Mr. Charles E, Proctor, also a member of the New York
Yacht Club. Later that summer Mr. John H. Clowes, of Great
Neck Long Island and a member of the Columbia Yacht Club,
surprised his wife one afternoon by walking her around
to the back of their house which overlooked Long Island
Sound. He pointed out a beautiful yacht with a crew of
three conducting their daily onboard routine. When she
remarked how striking the yacht was, Mr. Clowes informed
his wife that Alondra now belonged to her. The Clowes
family enjoyed many delightful summers onboard, cruising
between their Long Island Estate and Newport, Rhode Island,
where they viewed two America's Cup challenges. But in
1940, Mr. Clowes, a hotelier in New York City, experienced
some set backs in business which led to the loss of Alondra
to the Fyfe Shipyard of Long Island for a past due yard
bill of $850.00.
A couple of years later in 1942, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence
S. Bruce of Washington, DC purchased Alondra for $6,000.00
and brought her down to her new home on the Potomac River.
In May of 1947, the Bruces changed the name of the yacht
to Sallie B. The Bruces were members of the Corinthian
Yacht Club in Washington and spent nearly twenty years
cruising back and forth to Florida, where they later retired
onboard Sallie B. In 1962, Mr. Bruce died and his wife
sold Sallie B to Mr. Herbert P. Field.
During the 1960s, Sallie B. passed through the hands of
several owners and her name was changed again, to Mahogany
Lady. Mr. Field owned the yacht until the fall of 1966,
when he sold her to Mr. Edwin S. Mooers. Mr. Mooers kept
the Mahogany Lady for a couple of years before selling
her to Mr. Lee R. Bass. Over the next several years, the
Mahogany Lady passed back and forth between Lee Bass and
his brother Mr. Ray C. Bass. Then in December of 1971,
Lee Bass sold the yacht to Captain Doug Kenny. Captain
Kenny cruised extensively along the Gulf coast between
Florida and Louisiana, before selling the Mahogany Lady
to my father, Mr. Earl McMillen, Jr. and his business
partner Mr, Arnold Guest. Along with the purchase, they
hired Captain Kenny to continue to manage and operate
the yacht in the Florida Keys.
My father and Mr. Guest kept the Mahogany Lady for several
years before trading her to a mutual friend, Mr. Frank
W. Rash. In the late 70's, Mr. Rash donated the yacht
to a church in Florida, where she sat languishing in the
sun and heat until Mr. and Mrs. W. Edward Guy, of Stuart,
Florida bought her. The Guys owned the yacht for seven
years before selling her in 1986 to Mr. Arthur Burch of
Morristown, New Jersey. The yacht's name was once again
changed for a brief period to, Somewhere in Time. In the
fall of 1988, Mr. Ross MacTaggart of New York City bought
the yacht and immediately renamed her Alondra. A year
later in the fall of 1989, Alondra was towed to Newport
with the prospect of a grand restoration. Unfortunately,
Mr. MacTaggart's plans never came to fruition. Since then,
Alondra has been patiently awaiting her overdue restoration.
In the summer of 1997, McMillen Yachts, Inc, purchased
Alondra and plans have been made to begin her restoration
in the fall of 1998, upon the launching of a current restoration!